Monday, February 13, 2012

Interview with Elita Daniels.

This week I had a blast interviewing Indie writer Elita Daniels. She's just released a new book called The Darkening of Deacon.


1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?
I was twenty-five when I decided I wanted to become a writer. All my life I'd had an intense interest in making up stories and characters, but I didn't dream of becoming a writer.  I just wanted to act. I badly wanted to make movies. Pursuing that dream I wrote a screenplay for Project Green Light and made top one hundred. My brother noticed I wrote very descriptively and suggested I try a novel, so I started playing around with the idea. But it was when my old dog passed away that the idea for “Tree of Life” came together about a mortal raised by immortals. And I haven't looked back since. I love writing. I get the same satisfaction out of it as if I were making a movie.

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?
I don't write in any particular genre. I tend to write instinctively without too much thought of a target audience or genre. Wherever the story and characters take me I go. The same goes for reading. I read whatever happens to capture my interest, which is usually books from the 1700s through to early 1900s. I do love fantasy, but I find it difficult to find a modern book that suits my tastes.

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?
We sell most of our books from Amazon USA, however we're looking at focusing more on the UK market in the next few months.

4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?
Other than my mother I didn't really have any big positive influences. Although I did have a huge crush on Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys, haha.

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?
I am. In fact, I spend far too much time on the computer writing. My husband and I need a life!

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?
Ooh now this is a delicious question. Any talk of my stories getting adapted into a movie gets my heart racing. I would ask for Garrett Hedlund. He's the person I saw in my mind for Deacon.

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.
I would love to have Peter Jackson, Guy de Maupassent, Christopher Paolini, Garrett Hedlund, Emily Bronte, Tim Burton. Wow, what a crowd that would be!

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?
Write instinctively. Ignore mean people.

9. What are your plans for the coming year?
I planning on having “My Boyfriend is a zombie” finished and then I'll start on book two in the series. I would also like to prepare for a book tour and meet readers. And I'm hoping to move closer to my family.

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?
Well, if I was stranded the books have to be both entertaining and comforting. So I would choose Eragon by Christopher Paolini, Fallen by Lauren Kate, and Fanny Hill by John Cleland.


You can purchase The Darkening of Deacon at the following links:

Amazon US link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004477YCM
Amazon UK link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004477YCM


Elita's main site: http://elitadaniels.com
Blog: http://elitadaniels.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment