Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Interview with Stuart Ayris.

Today it's my pleasure to welcome Stuart Ayris.

 Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY - Book 1)


1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?

I guess I became an Indie Writer on 4th January 2012 when I pressed the PUBLISH button in the KDP Select dashboard – releasing Tollesbury Time Forever into the Kindle world. I have since released it as a paperback through Createspace. As to the ‘why?’ – well that will be due to a sudden realisation that I don’t have to conform to what others desire, I don’t need to bow and scrape and yes sir, no ma’am anybody in order to have the opportunity of having people read my books. What sense is it to write a novel about a whole new way of being and then sit on the cold hard floor by your cold front door every morning awaiting rejection letters and crumb of comfort nonsense from people who won’t even read a begging letter if it’s not in the right font?

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?

Although I am not a fan of classifying books into genres, I understand the need for them. My novels seem to fit into the Literary/Contemporary Fiction genre. I love reading 19th Century fiction – Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Victor Hugo etc and I also adore more radical works such as those written by Jack Kerouac and of course anything by John Steinbeck. In terms of more modern novelists I would have to say John Irving is my favourite.

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?

It’s about a 70/30 split in favour of Amazon UK vs Amazon US

4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?

Attitude wise I guess it was Bob Dylan. In terms of writing I’d say Jack Kerouac and in terms of humour, Monty Python.

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?

Nope. I have been a Psychiatric Nurse for the last fifteen years and I currently manage the Mental Health Service in Maldon, Essex.

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?

Me. Or maybe Timothy Spall.

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.

William Blake, Charles Baudelaire, Hank Williams, Charles Bukowski, Bob Dylan and Tony Hancock

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?

If it feels right, then it is right.

9. What are your plans for the coming year?

I am aiming to release the sequel to Tollesbury Time Forever – The Bird That Nobody Sees – as a paperback, finish writing the third in the FRUGALITY Trilogy – I Woke Up This Morning – and to maybe drink a little less.

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?

The Complete Works of Charles Dickens, The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and The Complete Works of William Blake.

Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY Book 1) - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TJDJKE
The Bird That Nobody Sees (FRUGALITY Book 2) - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008N06XE6
A Cleansing of Souls - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078MLK6Q
Bighugs, Love and Beer - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00965EEMU


No comments:

Post a Comment