Saturday, September 8, 2012

Today Dakota Franklin is my blog guest.


This week my guest is Action/Adventure writer Dakota Franklin. 

 REQUIEM AT MONZA (RUTHLESS TO WIN)
1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?
I didn’t.  I just wanted to go where my writing guru went, and that turned out to be CoolMain Press, a micropublisher. I don’t know if that makes me an indie.

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?
I read novels of suspense and that is what I write. I don’t see them as genre fiction, so I think of them just as novels.

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?
My books sell equally in the States and in Britain. I don’t know if they’re in Barnes and Noble. Though I’m an American, I live in Switzerland, so I don’t think I’ve ever been in a Barnes & Noble store..

4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?
My father. He was a consulting engineer in the automobile field, as was my grandfather, as am I.

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?
I suppose I could if I wanted to. But my writing process is bound up with my job and I am extremely loath to disturb it. I spend a huge amount of time in the car, driving across Europe to my projects. Those hours in the car every day I use to dictate my stories to my assistant and to a computer dictation program.  The cutting and rewriting I do at night in hotel rooms. It keeps me sane.

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?
In my series RUTHLESS TO WIN, each book has a different main character, who also appears in other books as a supporting character. At the centre of the  first novel to be published, LE MANS, stands Mallory, a female endurance racer. I really haven’t thought on casting the female characters. The female lead in REQUIEM AT MONZA is immensely tall and hugely athletic. I shall have to consult my teenage daughter, who knows the current actresses. Several of the men could be played by George Clooney, but I think I’d cast him as Charlie Cartwright, the diabolical nexus of the series. The book about Charlie, TROUBLESHOOTER  has just been launched.

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.
William Shakespeare, Winston Churchill, Edmund Burke, Galileo Galilei, Nicola Machiavelli, Leonardo da Vinci.

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?
“Good novels are not written, they are rewritten. Great novels are diamonds mined from layered rewrites.” (Andre Jute)

9. What are your plans for the coming year?
To finish a novel called LASHBACK, and to start another.

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?
King James Bible, Collected Shakespeare, a book on boatbuilding without tools. 

 Three volumes are already launched in Dakota Franklin’s thirteen-book series RUTHLESS TO WIN.

Dakota Franklin’s RUTHLESS TO WIN series at Amazon:
Dakota on Twitter #thrillsdakota or https://twitter.com/#!/thrillsdakota
Dakota on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003208437090&sk=wall

No comments:

Post a Comment