Monday, August 27, 2012

  


It's an honor and privilege to welcome thriller writer Doug 

Dorow.
The Ninth District - A Thriller

1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?
I'd been writing for some time and was just starting to work with my critique group on query letters to send to agents. This was two summers ago. Then I saw a notice on Amazon opening up directly to authors with the 70% royalty, and I decided then and there to forget the traditional route and to try the indie route. I was targeting to publish my first Thriller by Christmas that year, but my mom got sick, so I got a little delayed and published THE NINTH DISTRICT June 2011. I've never regretted my decision to be an Indie Writer and an Authorpreneur.

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?
I write thrillers and that's what I prefer to read. They say to write what you know. I'm not an FBI agent or a huge adventurer, but I do like to read about these adventures, so that's what I'm writing. 

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?
In the beginning, I tried all of the sellers. Amazon has been the king for me.  Before KDP Select, 95% of my sales were on Amazon, followed by Barnes and Noble and then iTunes.  I've participated in three rounds of KDP Select. I sell primarily in the US, but June and I had a pretty good month of sales in the UK followed by Germany. I'm pursuing translation into Spanish and German and the book is available as an Audiobook and in paper as well. 

4. During your childhood who was your biggest influence?
My parents, both taught by example. My dad loved to camp and travel and led us on summer vacations. My mother taught me to read early and supported my reading habit by taking me to the library to get new books. 

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?
Not yet! :)  I'm an IT manager by day and a father, husband and chauffeur for my son by night.  I find time to write at coffee shops while my son is at practice for soccer or hockey. Or I stay up late and write after the family has gone to bed.   

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?
This is a great question. A reader and I were discussing this on Twitter a couple of months ago as she read the book.  The main character is a veteran FBI agent, confident, a little cocky, and personable. I'd want someone that's more of a character actor, I think. Age-wise and how I have him pictured in my head, I'm going with Aaron Eckhart, I think he'd do a great job. 

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.
Former President Bill Clinton - he's smart, laid back and can talk. Late night talk show host Craig Ferguson - so funny and great at improvisation. Michael Connelly - thriller author, a lot I could learn from him. My wife - she's smart, funny, but I wouldn't sit her by Clinton :). Bonnie Raitt - great voice and lots of stories to share, Oscar Pistorius aka the South African Olympian who ran with the prosthetic legs, seemed so humble and a great inspiration. I only get six?

I'm sure the list would change if you asked me again in 3 months, but if we're sending out invites today, these are the people I'd invite. 

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?
Just write. Sit in the chair and write and finish the book. (I don't always follow that and then I have to tell myself to Just sit down and write!) If I get a second piece of advice, it's read, every writer needs to be a reader. 

9. What are your plans for the coming year?
I have one book out, THE NINTH DISTRICT. I'm trying to broaden/deepen its reach. It's in ebook, audio, paper and this year I'm hoping to have the Spanish version and maybe German done. I'm working on the the sequel(s).  The main sequel is in the works and I'm spinning off a novella series with a secondary character from the first book. These two should be out in the coming year. 

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have with you?
If my Kindle counts, I'm set. Give me that and a solar powered adapter!  If not, then then my three books are Shibumi, by Trevanian and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and The Stand by Stephen King. A little variety and books I can read more than once. 




Bottom of Form

1 comment:

  1. Mel
    Thanks for the interview. Great questions. Love sharing about writing, my book, and me to give readers and other writers a little insight.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete