Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Special guest author: Micheal Rivers


 Verliege


Today I'd like to introduce thriller writer Micheal Rivers. Take it away, Micheal.




Thank you very much for having me with you today. It is always a pleasure to talk with you.


 1. When and why did you decide to become an Indie writer?

A: I am a hybrid. I am an Indie author, but I also publish with Schiffer Publishing Ltd. As far as Indie publishing is concerned the profit margin for royalties are higher than brick and mortar. Both sides have their advantages. With Indie publishing I can choose my subjects; looking at the other side of the coin I have to write what they need or want. I like going where my mind takes me although that is seriously dangerous at times. It is a freedom you cannot always indulge in when satisfying a brick and mortar publisher.
I became an Indie with my first published novel in 1994. That book was a disaster because I had almost no knowledge of the business and the publisher went for that like a trout on a worm.

2. What genre do you write in and what genre do you prefer to read?

A: I love all the genres, some more than others. At this time I write paranormal suspense thriller. In the last year close friends and a few others that know me well have been trying to get me to write in another genre and the idea is tempting at times. I may surprise them with a little something in the future. I read everything except newspapers.
My favorite genre I am not so sure about. If the writer holds my interest I will read his work, if not they go into the “maybe later, maybe never file.”

3. Where do you sell most books, USA or UK, Amazon or Barnes and Noble?

A: The vast majority of my books are sold by Amazon here in the United States. I would like to break in to the UK market and am working on that.


4. During your childhood, who was your biggest influence?

A: Good question. I was influenced so many times I could hardly sit down. With my heritage the community is your influence in all phases of life. It is like having one huge family everywhere you go. I can’t give all the credit to just one person fairly. I will say the wisdom came from my father’s side and the strength and endurance to go forward regardless of the obstacles you meet came from both sides. I never quit. I may fall back and regroup, but be wary of my return. LOL
As far as writing is concerned I was greatly influenced by Alexander Dumas and Edgar Allen Poe.

5. Are you fortunate enough to write full-time?

A: Yes, but there are times when I wonder if you can call it fortunate. LOL I also have a day job that is full time. When do I find time for my writing; every possible second of the day? The economy changed and so sales went south like the vast majority of other writers. Unfortunately the battles of the big six and Indies has been less than a boon for everyone.

6. If Hollywood came knocking who would you want to play your main character?

A: First things first; if Hollywood came knocking I would have to regain consciousness from the shock. For Verliege I would have to say Liam Neeson for Dr. Pellitere and for Adrian Bolt I would choose Edward Norton hands down.

7. Name 6 people, dead or alive, you’d love to have as guests seated around your dinner-table.

A: Ronald Reagan, Attila the Hun, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Rodney Dangerfield, and Father Guido Sarducci. Keep in mind it is a buffet so the menu would be very interesting.

8. What one piece of advice have you found the most important in your writing career?

A: EDIT! EDIT! EDIT! and ignore the troll in the corner he’s just waiting to write something vicious about something written over his head.

9. What are your plans for the coming year?

A: It all depends on the time I am allotted. One of the books is already being prepped and being released in November by Schiffer Publishing. All things considered I would like to finish the sequel for the Black Witch among a few other things.
If all goes well I may surprise everyone with a new title out of my genre in mid 2013.

10. And finally, if you were stranded on a desert island what 3 books would you choose to have
with you?

A: Photo album with lots of pictures of the love of my life. (Get your mind out of the gutter) The survivalist bible and the works of Nathaniel Hawthorne would be on the wish list.  



Amazon Author page    http://www.amazon.com/Micheal-Rivers/e/B004JRJYWK      
Micheal Rivers Facebook Fan page     http://www.facebook.com/MichealRivers.Author                                                                 
Michealrivers.com          http://michealrivers.com/          

2 comments:

  1. Nice interview. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I really appreciate this, thanks for having me today! Don't forget to order those new glasses lol.

    ReplyDelete